I'm having China withdrawals! I want to go back so bad and this summer it is just not possible. I'm hoping to go next summer but that seems so far away! So I decided to make a post about my China experience.
If anyone read my old China blog then you have probablly already heard this stuff but oh well too bad. Last June Ally and I arrived in China for the best summer of our lives! We ate lots of Chinese food, pastries, and then we walked everywhere. People say you lose weight in China because the food is so nasty. We loved the food. Luckily since we walked all the time at least we didn't gain weight but we definitely didn't lose it since we ate bread and dessert every night for dinner :)
Anyways here are some of my Top Fourteen memories. In no certain order.
1) Every day when we walked to school creepy men would say, "oooo hallooo" to us. Then we would say Ny Hoa and they would giggle. If we were really lucky they would stroke our arms. oo la la. Yummy. They love American woman over there. It really doesn't matter what you look like they think you are beautiful.
2) The day we rode our bikes for the first time. Click here to read the story. It is about 3 paragraphs down on the page.
3) Sun. That was one of my student's names. He was hilarious! And I mean this in the weirdest sense possible. Whenever he had a question he would run up and press his body against mine and yell the question at me. When this first happened I jumped back and almost burst out laughing. Then he would give me the peace sign constantly which was awesome. He also had a habit of scratching his butt. You know I lauged at that alot.
4) One day something smelled horrible in class. And all the kids starting going, "ewww sick who farted. Gross!!" And I mean it really smelled nasty. All of a sudden this little girl just burst out crying. It was kind of funny because she could have played it off and not said anything but now everyone knew it was her.
5) Forbidden City. Worst day of my life. Funny now to think about. Click here if you wish to read it.
6) Pearl Market. Pretty much enough said. I never knew I liked pearls so much until I could buy a real strand for $4. Needless to say we shopped a lot in China.
7) The day our Air Condition went out in our 7th floor apartment. Right after we had walked 30 minutes home and then climbed 7 flights to our apartment. We were dying. Luckily Tim, our boss, fixed it for us.
8) $10/hour massages. They even massaged our butts. And it was good.
9) Chinese men wanting to take pictures with us for no reason. Especially when we were wearing our pointy hats.
10) Talking in Mexican accents with Ally for half the trip. Still not sure why people kept giving us weird looks.
11) The friends we made in the market while bargaining.
12) Dancing to "Beat it" by Michael Jackson while playing the bongo every morning and evening.
13) My kids thinking that Dr. Pepper on our noun worksheet was a person. I kept getting things like, "Dr. Pepper is funny. Dr. Pepper is kind. Dr. Pepper likes to eat." I finally figured it out near the end what they were doing.
14) My kids writing things like, "My blood type is O. Eye: My eye is as deep as the black sea. Height: I am as tall as a cello. Foot: My foot is big as bear's. Hand: My hand is strong like giant. I love myself" on their auto biography's.
Monday, May 5, 2008
I got tagged by Catie to tell 7 Random Things about myself. I usually don't do these but I thought this one was fun so here goes!
1. I can't sleep with out ALL the covers on.
This is a very hard thing to deal with I have to say! Even when I'm burning up they all have to be on. This is why I keep only a sheet and a comforter on the bed. No extra blanket. This dates back to when I was very young and scared of EVERYTHING at night. I somehow came up with this idea in my head: If someone comes in to my room to kill me with a knife then I have all my covers on it won't go through them. Very logical you see :) Well now I know that is not the case but I still have to sleep with them all on and if I take one off I get really anxious until it is back on.
2. I hated dogs until about 2 months ago.
I always thought puppies were cute but I didn't like dogs. They stink and they try to lick you and you have to wash your hands every time you touch them. Then two months ago after living with my parents I decided I like dogs and in fact I want one. I then bought one and I love her. Who would have ever thought that! Needless to say she gets a bath at least once a week, she is learning not to lick me, and my hands are dry and were bleeding on my knuckles from being over washed.
3. I love diet coke!
I drink one diet coke a day and that is on my way to work. I know that is weird and it just started this year. Every morning I eat breakfast with a glass of water and then on my drive I drink a diet coke. I then drink water the rest of the day but I have to have a diet coke on my drive now.
4. I hate breakfast food.
I'm hungry in the morning but I hate breakfast food! This has always been a dilemma. Sometimes I eat peanut butter toast or honey on toast but for the past couple of weeks I've been eating an english muffin with hummus. So good.
5. I'm early to everything! (Catie I'm stealing that from you!)
I absolutely hate being late and in fact it stresses me out in other people too! I like to blame this on being late to everything while growing up and the scars it left on me (plus I try to blame as much as possible on my parents... you know how it goes). Anyways I'm usually about 10 minutes early to everything. Yet still I always think I'm going to be late and then I rush more. In the mornings I get ready so fast that I have about 30 minutes of time just to check my email and do other things. Even if I wake up 20 minutes late I still have 30 minutes because I rush so fast! I'm really trying to work on this because it is annoying but I can't help it I just like to be on time!!
6. I'm scared of the dark.
You can make fun of me all you want but it's true. I've always gotten scared at night and have always had trouble sleeping! I now think it's probably because I'm scared of the dark. I still sleep with my closet light on. I keep the door closed and it really doesn't do anything but just the thought of it helps. I also will turn on the light and check all around the room about 3 times before I can sleep. Plus I check my closet and under the bed before I get in bed. ha ha I realize this is dumb but hey what can I say. Don't ever try to scare me at night or I will probably cry.
7. I love other cultures more than anything!
I want to move out of the country and teach oversees but this has not worked out yet! I was pursuing it pretty hard last semester but everything kept not working out so I had to take a break for awhile. I still hope to do this and I think I will always regret it if I don't. If I can't live over there then at least I have my summers to go over there. Vacations are just not a long enough amount of time to leave!
I now tag Jenny. I hope this wasn't too boring to read!